Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Is it just me?

I'm having an ethical/moral dilemma. R invited an old Air Force friend of his to come stay with us this weekend. He also has a wife and 3 kids. R was really close with him (Carlos) and his wife and is very excited. (As an aside while I was pregnant she had a not-even-pretending-to-hide-it affair and wanted to leave Carlos and their kids but I guess they've moved on.)

So R informs me that we are doing something silly on Saturday, what was it? Oh yeah we're going to Medival Times and he wants Maggie to spend the night with someone because we are going to go out after that. And what will we be doing with their 3 childrens (ages 13, 9 and 4)? The 13 year old is going to watch them.

Ok, I really don't want to judge anyone else's parenting but really? You're going to leave a 13 year old in charge of 2 little kids. And R told me they offered for their 13 year old (boy--not sure if that matters but still) to watch Maggie. My baby. My almost 10 month old baby. Not fucking likely.

So do I have right to say, Uh-uh, not in my house? Which is what I did. But now I'm sure they are going to be quite offended, which should make for a pleasant weekend. Am I way off base?

****
My Mom and stepdad, whom I love very much, are kinda crazy. And they have this big thing about synchronicity. Basically if you keep hearing something, the universe is trying to tell you something. When they first started talking about it I remember the thing they kept seeing was monkeys or something equally ridiculous. To this day I wonder what the fuck they made of that. Uh, we should take up sign language? No, we should climb trees. Mmmm, maybe it means we're totally batshit crazy.
Despite thinking this is ridiculous I always notice when there is synchronicity in my own life. So today on 2 different blogs there was talk of putting tampons in glasses of water to show their effectiveness. Definitely not normal blog chatter. Mmm, what could this mean? I'm going to start my period after over a year and a half (God, I hope not). I need to soak up something. This is a good way to teach kids about tampons. No, that can't be it cos this seems kinda weird. Oh, wait it reminds me of that scene in Kids where Casper puts the tampon in the Koolaid and sucks on it (yuk!). Ooh, I hope no one has AIDS. Ok, I got nothing.
****
Maggie has started doing this really great thing where when you stand up from the rocking chair to put her in her crib she starts screaming and crying. I love it. Cos what cuts to the core like your baby crying? Why does she do this? She only cries for a minute or two (Thank God) but still, it's the really serious crying. Like I poked her in the eye or something. Not that I've ever done that, but one can assume that being poked in the eye would cause much screaming and crying.

No comments: