Monday, November 16, 2009

Where does the time go?

Maya is getting so big. Somewhere I read/heard a saying, "The days are long but the years are short." So true. Some days feel like they take a century to get through. But then I turn around and my little baby can walk. And feed herself. And talk (sort of).

How does that happen?

And I know it's a good thing. As she gets older it just keeps getting better. She's more fun, sweeter, funnier.

I just feel this sense of desperation. Time is running too fast and I can't stop it or even slow it down. She is not mine forever. She will grow up and move out. She will have her own children or career or whatever she chooses.

She will only be a baby once. She will only be little once. One day she won't nurse. She won't cuddle. I'll be Mama, then Mommy, then Mom.

When she was just born, I remember telling R that our job as parents was to prepare Mags to leave us. What a sad truth.

It is the way of the world. The way things have always been. But that knowledge doesn't make it any less sad.

No comments: