Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My baby. . .


The best part of Thanksgiving was watching Maggie play with her little cousins. They are only 1 and 2 years, respectively, older than her. She was so happy. She would look over at me for encouragement or reassurance maybe and then go back to playing.


At one point they got a little too close and she backed up a little. Other than that she just smiled and laughed. It was wonderful.


And yet, it made me unbelievably sad. It took me a while to figure out why I was so sad about Maggie having such a good time.


All these 15 months of her life, Maggie has been mine. She is my baby. Sure, other people play with her, keep her, what have you. But she is my baby. Seeing her play with those little girls was the first time she was her own little person.


And as her own little person, she will continue doing her own little thing. Part of which will include growing up and no longer being my baby. And while I'm not too bothered (just heartbroken) about her getting older, the reminder hurt.


How can my baby be such a big girl? How can time go so fast?

1 comment:

becca said...

Awwww.... my almost 5 year old is still my baby! She still needs me (now more than then actually!) Enjoy EVERY age... they each have special perks that come with them. I think it gets better and better (even if it doesn't seem that way by reading my blog!)