Monday, June 7, 2010

June 7, 2010

Best part of the day: Well first of all, today is the first day of summer! Woo hoo!!! Maggie is sick so that stinks but I've still been able to get a lot done. Good Lord how have I missed the memo my whole freaking life. Getting things done, exercising, getting dressed, basically being a normal person makes me so happy. I feel so much better about everything when I do these really simple things. I feel like it's my lot to learn this over and over. Although perhaps I can go ahead and learn this for now and have something else be my lot.

I've been loving my podcasts. I save them for things I'm not too thrilled about doing, like say exercising or cleaning or running errands. And it makes me look forward to doing those things. I love storycorps from NPR. There was an old couple telling the story of how they met and something about the couple reminded me of R and I and I smiled. It was quite sweet.

I started my Happiness Project today. So far, so good. This month I'm working on Energy. I'm trying to exercise every day. Gretchen Rubin (author of The Happiness Project) wrote about how it's easier for her to do something every day instead of a few days or even most days. And I'm like that too. If it's something I have to do every day, then I just sort of accept that but if it's something I do occasionally I'll bargain with myself or try to do a lot one day and nothing the next 5 days. Doesn't work out so well for me. Hmmm. . . maybe this will be my lot in life.

In the same way she quotes someone saying essentially that abstaining, for him, is as easy as moderation is difficult for him. That is so me. I have a lot of trouble with moderation. I tried to follow the Body for Life diet once and it was bad. The eating part of it is that you follow their plan 6 days a week and then eat whatever you want on the 7th day. That didn't work out so well for me. You can do an awful lot of damage in one day. Especially if you are feeling super deprived those other days.

How did I get off on this?

Anyway, I'm working on exercising daily, doing about 30 minutes of cleaning daily, marking one thing off my to do list daily and organizing something for 10 minutes a day. Today I did everything. Woo hoo!

Gratitude: I'm really grateful for the Happiness Project. I really love the book and feel like it's very much changed the way I see myself. For years I've been telling myself that certain aspects of my personality were set and there was nothing I could do about it. And I had just started telling myself that's not true and I can control things. Which of course is a huge part of the book. And I guess it's the whole when the student is ready, the teacher appears. There's nothing too groundbreaking in her book (although I love her writing and like how she sums up research and opinions, etc.) but I was starting to come around to this viewpoint and this book backs that up.

I'm grateful that I feel so much better. For way too long I've been thinking that other people or medicine or circumstances are responsible for the way I feel and consequently the way I act and it feels pretty nice to let go of that.

No comments: