Thursday, June 24, 2010

Too much internet?

I've been thinking more about something I wrote about a few days ago. How much internet time is too much? Not even thinking about the time it's taking away from my daughter, how much is too much?

I worry that I'm obsessed or addicted to the internet. I feel like I need to check if I'm near a computer. The best way for me to really spend time with my daughter is to leave the house because otherwise I'll be tempted to sit down and check email and blogs and this and that. That seems less than good, you know.

I don't own a phone that can connect to the internet because, if I did, good Lord I wouldn't be able to do anything else. It's best to keep my internet sequestered.

The funny thing is I always feel a little bit superior when I can say, "Oh we don't have cable so we can't watch TV unless it's a DVD." I probably watch less than 2 hours of TV a week but I'm the computer for hours every single day. There is absolutely no difference.

I'm thinking about putting time limits on my daily internet time. Like I can get on 3 times a day for no more than 45 minutes per time. God, how sad is it that I need to cut my internet time down to 2 hours and 15 minutes. Of course, I don't actually know how much time I spend on the internet. Maybe it's already about there.

More than anything I want it to be something I think less about. I want to play with my daughter without running to check on the computer.

No comments: