Friday, August 27, 2010

Change of heart (well, sort of)

I’ve been a vegetarian since 2005. I became a vegetarian after learning about factory farms and their atrocious practices. I’ve never been against people eating meat just the way that food gets on their plate.

Lately I’ve been reading a ton about local, grass-fed animals and how humanely they are treated. They are not in crowded filthy factories but live on actual ranches and roam around. They are not given tons of antibiotics that in turn make us antibiotic-resistant. And I support this. From the get go I’ve supported these farms. But I wasn’t supporting them in any meaningful way. Like with my money.

All of this is to say that I have decided to eat meat again. I found a market that is around the corner from my work. It is run by a couple who own a ranch and farm in Bowie and Keller. They don’t use antibiotics or hormones. They don’t feed the animals grains. Pigs eat past-its-prime produce and goats and cows eat grass. They graze all day. They even have a blog.

I am actually really excited. I’ve missed meat and I’ll be glad to be able to enjoy it guilt-free. But mostly I’m excited to be supporting a local, humane, environmentally-friendly business.

No comments: