Sunday, April 21, 2013

Unschooling, Part 5: Academics

This is actually getting much easier for me. I have long thought there was so much ridiculousness in the things compulsory schooling requires. What's radius? What are the major exports of Kenya? What's the capital of South Dakota? Maybe you can answer all these. I can't. But I can look every one of them up, with or without the internet. So why did I (probably) takes tests about each of these. I probably at one time could answer each of these questions and yet, I can't now. Did I really learn anything?

I then felt like, well there are things everyone NEEDS to know. I still think that. I think that everyone needs to know how to read, how to write and basic math. But won't everyone learn these things if they are needed? As long as they are in an environment where these things are coming up and they are exposed to them, I believe they will learn them.

I am still teaching Maggie how to read. But I have tried to make it as painless as possible. I ask her if she would like to do her reading lesson and if she says no, I leave it. Still I don't think it's necessary.

Mainly we're having lots of fun, going lots of places and doing lots of things. We are digging into her interest in bugs and it's been awesome.

No comments: